In 2015 the BCFSC, in response to industry direction started looking at a new competency based training and assessment model for:
- Yarding occupations
- Fallers, faller supervisors and faller assessors
- Log truck drivers and
- Other equipment operators.
- Workshops are conducted with subject matter experts (experienced workers in each occupation) to develop an Occupational Analysis Chart to identify all of the competencies required to achieve competency in a particular occupation.
- Training content and assessment tools are developed to support the distinct competencies.
- Training content and assessment tools are tested in the field and further refined.
- Overlapping competencies between occupations are identified to allow the transferability of competence across different occupations.
- Training content and assessment tools are rolled out to industry.
- Improve safety by securing the best trained and competent forestry workforce and supervisors
- Have consistent training across industry
- Allow for the most effective and defensible training system and training content for each occupation
- Provide workers with the best, most effective training available in a system that is easy to use, easy to understand and provides them with the knowledge, skills, and measurable competency achievements to be successful and have transferable skills.
If you have questions, contact Gerard Messier by email or toll free at 1-877-741-1060.