Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Program

Vehicle Registration
File a Report

What is the VIN Program?


The VIN program has been adopted as a standard operating procedure by most Licensees (as well as oil and gas, and mining operators) across BC. Because each VIN plate bears a unique vehicle identifier, VIN plates enable easy and consistent identification of vehicles using resource (and public) roads. Current VIN program users agree that presence of the VIN plate has made a significant contribution to increasing driver accountability, and encourages owners and operators to learn and apply local road use protocols and broader best driving practices.

Registering VIN plates in the database enables proactive incident and close call reporting. An effective reporting mechanism can, in turn, be used to improve estimates of the number and types of vehicles utilizing resource roads, and can help identify routes or locations where there are opportunities to reduce road hazards (e.g. through education, maintenance, scheduling, etc.)


VIN plates show an alpha-numeric identifier and are usually constructed from lightweight aluminum (see template).  A unique combination of three (3) or four (4) letters at the top of the plate (usually an abbreviation of the company name, or an acronym) identifies the vehicle owner or company. The three (3) numbers on the lower part of the plate identify the specific vehicle in the company fleet.

Program enrollment is voluntary, but many Licensees require contractors and staff to register in the VIN program. Interested individuals and companies simply need to register vehicle and company information in the VIN database and acquire proper VIN plates. Once that’s done, they need to mount the VIN plate on their vehicle. If vehicle or owner information changes, the owner needs to update that information in the VIN database to keep records accurate. VIN plates can be sourced at your local sign shop.


  1. Increased driver accountability, improved implementation of road protocols, and improved road safety.
  2. Provide opportunity for public and industry feedback to companies engaged in forest road activities.
  3. Potential to increase incident reporting and road safety as well as accuracy of estimates of number and type of vehicles utilizing forest roads.

Vehicle Registration

Register the company by going to vin.bcforestsafe.org.  It is recommended that registration is completed before the registrant has plates manufactured to ensure that the desired VIN is available. 

As part of the registration process registrants will be required to provide the following information:

  1. Company Name
  2. Company Contact Name
  3. Company Contact Phone Number
  4. Company Contact Email
  5. Company Alpha-Numeric VIN plate choice
  6. Vehicle Type (Logging Truck, Pickup, etc)

Changing your VIN Registration

Log into your records at vin.bcforestsafe.org and make the necessary changes.

Plate Standards

File a Report

Filing a report allows road users to give feedback or report issues on vehicles using the road. The information you supply (good or bad) gets sent to the fleet manager of the vehcile and you can request a follow up. Transportation Safety is interested in the reported incidents in order to facilitate improvements in road safety. Critical information requested includes: date and time, location and vehicle type involved in incidents.  You can file a report by:

Telephone: 1-877-741-1060
Email: vin@bcforestsafe.org
VIN Website: vin.bcforestsafe.org

BCFSC will not use the information in the database for the purposes of SAFE companies or otherwise. BCFSC is interested in both incidents and positive experiences of road users, the frequency, location and vehicle type involved in incidents.

Report Management and Delivery

Reports completed will be forwarded, via email, to the contact registered to the VIN. Reports completed for VINs that are not currently registered will be “investigated” by a BCFSC representative – the BCFSC rep will attempt to determine the company that the vehicle belongs to, by contacting industry or government contacts in the work area that the incident took place. The BCFSC rep will deliver the report to the company (if it can be located) and suggest that the company register their VINs to enable quick reporting in the future. If the BCFSC representative cannot locate the company the VIN belongs to, the report will be forwarded to the Road Management Committee operating in the area the incident took place.


Toll Free: 1-877-741-1060
Fax Attention: Transportation Safety: 1-250-741-1068

Careers | Contact Us | Top | Privacy Statement | Terms and Conditions |
Copyright © 2006-2018 BC Forest Safety Council. All rights reserved.