Login

Carbon monoxide leak on camp barge sends worker to hospital

Safety Alert Type: 
Hazardous Materials
Location: 
Coastal BC
Date of Incident / Close Call: 
2018-11-30
Company Name: 
INTERFOR
Details of Incident / Close Call: 

One of Interfor’s leased barges had an exhaust leak in a boiler in the light plant room in the basement.

A worker in the room above suffered from the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide inhalation. The worker was sent to the hospital for oxygen therapy. This was a Lost Time incident.

Learnings and Suggestions: 
  • Gasoline-powered tools, natural gas heaters, kilns, furnaces and boilers all produce Carbon Monoxide.
  • Daily inspections of engines and fuel fired equipment on barges and in camps are mandatory.
  • Exhaust leaks must be immediately addressed. This may require locking out equipment until repair is complete.
  • Most cookhouse’s have Carbon Monoxide detectors but more must be installed including in common areas.
  • Signs must be posted on barges and in camps where there is a risk to of Carbon Monoxide exposure.
  • Employers must develop and implement an effective exposure control plan which includes training workers and supervisors if there is a risk of Carbon Monoxide exposure.

 

For more information on this submitted alert: 

Gary Bauer, Coastal Woodlands Operations Gary.Bauer@interfor.com

 

File attachments
Safety Alert-Interfor-Carbon Monoxide in Barge-Coastal Woodlands-Nov 30-2018.pdf
Careers | Contact Us | Top | Privacy Statement | Terms and Conditions |
Copyright © 2006-2019 BC Forest Safety Council. All rights reserved.
|