It was a very cold morning (-28 at the machine) and the D7H would not start on its own, as it had been sitting for a while. A 324 DLL loader was also on site, being moved to a new block and was sitting on a lowbed.
Worker hooked up the jumper cables from the batteries on the loader to the batteries on the D7H. He normally would hook from starter to starter, but with the loader being on the lowbed, the cables were not long enough to do so.
After leaving the cables hooked up for approximately 10-15 minutes to charge, worker climbed back up on the D7H and looked into the battery box. As he did this, he could hear the battery closest to him making a high pitched sound and then it exploded.
There was debris blown everywhere along with battery acid on the side of the worker’s face/neck area, arm and clothing. A nearby co-worker also noticed his clothing was sprayed with battery acid.
Thankfully no serious injuries occurred during this incident, although a slight burn was taken to the neck. Fatigue and sore muscles were experienced that evening, possibly caused from the force of the explosion.
The company had previously installed a thick piece of rubber that covered over the battery box which most likely prevented serious injuries, as this contained and deflected a lot of the debris of the explosion.
Jeff Kineshanko firstname.lastname@example.org