Date of Incident / Close Call:
Details of Incident / Close Call:
- After the sidewall blew out an employee had to change a tire but was unable to get one of the lug nuts off because the tire iron was inadequate.
- An employee was changing a flat tire in the field but had a difficult time placing the jack on a flat supportive surface due to the road condition at that particular location.
- An employee was changing a flat tire but had difficulty replacing it because the posts and hub were so dirty.
Learnings and Suggestions:
- If tires are installed with incorrect torque they can be difficult to remove manually.
- Not having the correct tools can lead to the inability to change the tire and ultimately the potential to be stranded in the field.
- The jack could slip from not being properly placed on a stable surface, which could result in serious injury.
- If lugs, posts, and hubs are dirty or rusted then a proper replacement will be difficult and the wheel might not be secure.
For more information on this submitted alert:
Tyson von den Steinen, Canadian Forest Products Ltd (250) 962-3229 Tyson.vondenSteinen@canfor.com