Who can be SAFE Certified
A company or individual who works, or wishes to work, in the BC forest or forest product sectors can be SAFE Certified.
Being a registered BC Company with an active WorkSafeBC account makes it easier to start the SAFE Certification process by conveniently defining what exactly is being certified.
No matter your size of company, whether your have work history or not, there are options available to you and your company that will meet your needs. Any company that is willing to make the commitment can do the work to demonstrate that they have a safety management system that is sufficient to become a SAFE Certified Company.
The three steps are:
- Register in the SAFE Companies program
- Train appropriate permenant employee/owner
- Submit a successful audit of your safety management system
For more information, and to start the process, see the SAFE Certification process.
Maintaining SAFE Certification
Once a company has become SAFE certified, they must undertake certain activities every year to maintain SAFE certification.
If you have questions about SAFE, please phone toll-free: 1-877-741-1060 or e-mail: email@example.com.
The size of the company and how sufficient their existing safety management system is signficantly affects how quickly a company can become SAFE certified. While normal processing is four to six weeks, a small employer with a good safety management system can become certfied in as little as 48 hours. A large employer with a deficient system and a need for a formal external audit may need a year or more.
Registration - all sizes of company
- Completing and submitting the registration form, including BCFSC processing
- <1 hour, plus payment
- BCFSC processing during normal business hours only
- Being a registered BC Company with an active WorkSafeBC account makes it easier to start the SAFE Certification process by conveniently defining what exactly is being certified.
Training - IOO
- 4-hour teleconference, offered monthly, usually on Saturday mornings
Training - SEBASE
- 2-day in-person course, offered several times per year in major centres in BC
Training - BASE internal auditor
- Not mandatory for SAFE certification
- 3-day in-person course offered 3 times per year in BC
Building / Upgrading your safety management system to minimum standards
- highly variable from 0 days to more than 1 year
Audit package - IOO certification
- 14 questions completed by the IOO
- 2-4 hours with an average business filing system (easy to find required information)
- telephone support available
Audit package - SEBASE or ISEBASE certification
- 24 questions completed by a permanent employee / owner of the company
- 4-8 hours with an average business filing system
- telephone support available
Audit package - BASE certification
- 40 questions
- completed by a certified external auditor
- includes interviews with company staff and observations of work sites
- 3 months minimum lead time recommended to book a BASE external auditor
- 1-6 weeks to perform the audit, depending on company size and geography
- 1-2 weeks for auditor to write report
Audit review and issuing certificate
- typical review time for a passing submission is 4-6 weeks, except in June/July and December/January peak periods where may reach 8-10 weeks. For best service, if possible, please avoid submitting in either peak period.
- under special circumstances with a written justification, 2-day rush service may be arranged but this is not guaranteed since it depends on reviewer availability and workload. This service is not usually available for the June/July and December/January peak periods.
- review of deficient audits takes longer and may require multiple attempts.