On December 21st, a log truck driver was fatally injured in a single vehicle incident when his log truck rolled over coming out of a sharp curve near Chilliwack. Early indications are that the road conditions were not a significant factor. The Coroners Service is investigating the incident and the results will be released as soon as possible.
Although the details of this incident are still unknown, review the following general safety information:
- No load of logs is the same. Professional log haulers adjust their driving behaviours to adapt to differences in the weight and stability of their load.
- Wear seatbelts in all conditions and at all times.
- Inspect your truck and trailer often. Watch for early warning signs that the suspension or brakes need repair or adjustment.
- Busy holiday schedules can lead to added stress and distraction at work. Maintain focus on the job at hand so you can enjoy some time off with friends and family.
- The holiday season also increases the number of drivers on the road. Watch out for members of the public who might not be used to industrial traffic.
- The winter weather can create poor road conditions. Adjust your speed and drive to the conditions.